2010-09-21

WARNING: Some experts believe they are correct

A child asked me if it made sense that the proponents of Randian philosophy (the philosophy in summary: those who work hard for a living deserve to keep their earnings without having to support others) should work in an institute that siphons off money from those who work hard for a living.  In additional irony, the child asked, should those Randian com/proponents be allowed to be quoted saying that although they live off others' earnings, they feel that those who work hard for themselves should be put up on pedestals and not harassed for contributions to those who do not work for themselves.

I regret I had but one answer to give that child: we live in the age of entitlement, so, if you work, get used to carrying a harness for the other 50% who don't.

Moo-o-o-o-o.

A consultant approached me about the sensitive subject of Middle East Peace, a euphemism for the "Israel" situation that perplexes the Arab world.  The consultant asked what should be done about the settlement issue.

Seeing as how the developers do not want to stop building settlements, I suggested to the consultant (for grins) to recommend the Randian method - the settlements should be sold to the highest bidders throughout the world, regardless of race, gender, nationality, political affiliation, favourite wrestler or hated football rival.

As I walked away, I overheard the consultant talking to his banking friends in the Grand Caymans.  Sounds like the usual route to peace - undisguised bribery - will win the day.

Do we know what shapes us?  My mother told me a story about her childhood.

In primary school one year, my mother and her classmates were supposed to memorise a complex set of dance routines composed of intertwining circles probably reminiscent of reels or perhaps country, square or round dancing form.

One day that year, a substitute teacher, of stern disciplinary bent, told my mother and the other students that the teacher was stepping out of the room for a while and strictly forbade any students from getting up out of their seats while the teacher was gone.

My mother, not the misbehaving sort, decided it was a good opportunity to practice the complex dances with her classmates so she encouraged them to get up and practice their steps.

The teacher returned, saw what looked to her like children out of control, and punished the whole class by slapping every student on the palm of the hand with a heavy ruler.

My grandfather was displeased that a teacher would use a heavy stick on young people, which could have permanently damaged or broken bones and ligaments in the children's hands.  My mother never saw the teacher afterward.

However, my mother never misbehaved in school again, later graduating as valedictorian of her senior class.

I asked my mother if she thought she should consider the substitute teacher the primary reason for my mother's good grades and thus one of my mother's top inspirations for becoming valedictorian.

My mother did not think so.

However, my mother, as a teacher herself (now retired), has seen through the years many of her former first grade students thank her for being the teacher that made the most significant difference in their lives because she kept her class and students under control in order to optimise the learning environment.

Do you see the purpose you serve, the influence you have upon others?  I doubt many of us do, because we rarely understand the changing states of energy around us in the moment, let alone the changes we latently cause years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment